Friday, February 27, 2015

Fitness Friday

I need to start out by letting you all know just how PROUD I am of this kid!
 
Riley- age 12
When he made the decision to not go out for basketball this year we told him that it was fine but, since he wasn't doing a winter sport, he would need to workout with us- running, lifting, etc. and not just sitting at home playing games. The month of December we didn't push it but once January came along we told him it was time to hit it hard and I have to say that he did. 

Then we challenged him to participate with us in the Indoor Ironman Challenge at our local YMCA (swim 2.4 miles, bike 112 miles, and run 26.2 miles during the month of February) and he took it on and totally rocked it. He finished last night with a 3 mile run and a 1/4 mile swim and a couple of days to spare. It was so much fun to have him working out with us and to be able to spend that time with him. He wasn't always thrilled to be going and doing it but, once we would get started, he always made the most of it and had fun.

Now that indoor batting practice has started he is even starting to see the benefits and is understanding why we made this "deal" with him. It really wasn't to torture him with spending time with us! It was to help him stay in shape and get stronger for track and baseball. After the first session of batting he really noticed a difference and said that it felt good and his swing felt so much stronger. I will definitely count that as a win for us!

NOTE: I should add that my wonderful husband also finished his last lap of swimming last night to also finish his Indoor Ironman Challenge.



This is my weekend to work so I have been off all week which means this has been a GREAT week of workouts! We all finished our Indoor Ironman Challenge this week and Tim and I also started a new challenge that I think we are both really enjoying- a 60 day Piyo challenge.
I can't speak for Tim but I am loving this time together each night.
Here is how my week looked:

Monday: 5k run (treadmill) and biked 14 miles (upright bike) at the Y, Piyo- Align

Tuesday: 2 mile run (treadmill) and biked 6 miles (upright bike) at the Y, Yoga class, Piyo- Lower body

Wednesday: 4 mile run (treadmill) and 1/2 mile swim at the Y, Piyo- Upper body

Thursday: Group Strength Training Class (full body workout), Piyo- Sweat

All of the "tools" used in yesterday's group strength class
After all of that I am feeling it today! It is a good sore though because I can feel that I have been doing something and am working to improve myself and my body. I am thinking that a nice easy run yet today would feel good to help loosen up my tight legs.



 Gratitude Challenge- Days 23-27


Day 23-
Some of us struggle with health and wellness issues. Really take a few moments and think about your body and what you are grateful for in regards to your own health and wellness.
 
Being diagnosed with melanoma and having part of my ear removed really sucked but when I really stop and think about it I am grateful that we caught it when we did. It could have been so much worse and I am incredibly grateful that it wasn't!
 
 I have had my struggles with health and wellness but I am grateful for where I am now. I am not exactly where I want to be but I am on the journey to improving my health and wellness. The journey isn't always easy but I am learning so much about myself and have met so many amazing people along the way.
 
Day 24-
Name a deceased person you are grateful for and why.
 
I have two that I have talked about in previous responses- Grandpa Everett and Tim's Dad (Papa D). They were both very loving, caring and strong men. They both worked hard and were not afraid to push the limits and try new things. They were great examples for how to make the most of your life!
 
Day 25-
Write a thank you to a child you are grateful for and tell them why you are grateful for them. In your gratitude journal, write about the child and your gratefulness towards them.
 
I am incredibly grateful for each of my three boys! They have ALL brought so much joy to my life and in each of their own ways!
 
 
Riley- he was the first to make me a mom and I have learned so much from him. He is very independent and always has been. He has been a 'natural' at so many things that he has helped me learn how to challenge him and push him to try harder and try things that don't come easy to him. From the time he was very young he had a drive for learning and that has helped me to also want to learn new things. He is growing into an amazing, responsible young man and it is so much fun to watch as he grows and changes.
 
Isaac- he has a special way of challenging me but I am grateful for the ways that he makes me a better mom. He is helping me learn to have patience. He also helps me see that sometimes you have to take a different approach to get the end result you are seeking- just because it worked with one kid doesn't mean it will work with the next.  He works hard at all that he does because things don't come easy for him and I admire his determination to figure things out. He is my silly, free-spirited child and I love that about him. He is helping me realize that sometimes I need to be more like that. He is such a sweet, caring boy and I can't wait to see where his future takes him!
 
Aidan- my little man! He is my little sweetie. He is so caring and loves to snuggle. He loves to play, play, play! He has always been "mommy's boy" and I am totally ok with that! He is the child that has helped me slow down and be more in the moment. He has helped me cherish the small, everyday moments because they are what's really important.
 
Day 26-
What happened to you today that you are most grateful for?
 
I am grateful to finally be able to get back to the group strength training class at the Y. After working the past few Thursdays it felt great to get back. Stacy really kicked my butt which was just what I needed!
 
I also had a moment that was very brief but I was go grateful that I was living in the moment and was able to catch it and take it in. While walking through Wal-Mart Aidan said to me, "Mommy, I really enjoy being your son." Sometimes it can be the smallest things that can totally make your day!
 
 
Day 27-
What is one activity that you are grateful you are able to do each day? Why?
 
Dang this is hard! My first reaction was that I am grateful that I can 'move'- in whatever way it might mean for that day. Then I thought about it more and decided that maybe it should be that I am grateful that I can breathe- without breathing nothing else would be possible! I guess that is the very literal side of me talking with those answers.
 
I am also very grateful that I get to be with my family in some capacity each day. I get to see my boys grow and change. I am grateful to be home to eat dinner with my family most nights. I am grateful to be able to tell my boys good night and tuck my little man in.
 
 
I would love to hear from you:
How was your week as far as fitness goes?
What happened to you this week that you are most grateful for? Why?
 
Please comment to share your thoughts:)

No comments:

Post a Comment