Thursday, March 5, 2015

Birthday week

I have almost made it through my "hell" week. No, my week really hasn't been that bad. It is just the term used for the week of my schedule where I work a bunch in a row. I do 12 hour shifts and work every third weekend so I have "hell weeks" and "glory weeks" with a few regular weeks mixed in. Those "glory weeks" make "hell weeks" so much more bearable!!!
 
I worked last weekend and then was off on Monday which was nice because it was my birthday!
 
 
 I had a nice quiet and relaxing day at home. The weather warmed up a bit so I was able to run outside to celebrate my day. It was a tough run but I was so happy to get outside that I pushed through. When I looked at my mile splits and saw that I had one mile in the 8's I realized why it was so tough! I am generally pretty good about pacing myself but the combination of running on the treadmill most of the winter and being excited to run outside made me realize that I need to strengthen that skill again.
 
4.3 miles
Once my family was all home we went out for supper at Applebee's (well four of us did... one child may have had a meltdown about my choice of restaurants and ended up staying home while we ate)  before going to Riley's Jazz Band Concert. This was the first that I got to see him play for Jazz Band due to my work schedule so it was really nice. They did a great job! Overall it really was a good day and I am so blessed!!
 
After being off on Monday then it was back to work for a couple of days again. Even with this past week being my "hell week" and working a lot I have been getting in a workout even after I get home from work!! I am participating in a 60 day Piyo challenge and am loving it! One of my hopes from doing this challenge was to find something that I could do even on the days that I work and I can honestly say that I have been able to do just that! The workouts are just the right length to fit in quick when I get home. The lower body workout was a great way to stretch my legs after a long day on my feet. I am sure I will be telling you more in the future as we are only on week 2 of the challenge!
 
Today it was back to group strength class and what a workout it was! Once again we used all kinds of different "tools" and made a quick "field trip" to the gym for our warm up. Lots of squats and upper body today which made me worried for how tonight's Upper Body Piyo workout was going to go. After a bit of rest this afternoon we headed up to The Y tonight as a family and Tim and I got in a quick 5K run on the treadmill before some good stretching. It was a short workout so we still had time for Piyo once we got home. Like I said, I was worried about how it was going to go after the GST class but I really didn't need to worry. It was a great workout and I am already seeing improvements. The upper body workout might be one of my favorites and I know that it will be one that I will continue to do well after the challenge is over!
 
post- workout selfie for the challenge group page
 

1 comment:

  1. Happy belated birthday! That's awesome that the weather warmed up for your birthday run. :) My birthday is Saturday & it looks like it will be another icy run. At least I'll be doing a race with friends, so that's something to look forward to! #girlsgonesporty

    ReplyDelete