Monday, June 3, 2013

Interview with Riley at Age 11

    This post is dedicated to my oldest- RILEY! He turned 11 a couple of weeks ago and I interviewed him on his birthday- staying true to his personality and wasn't able to answer all of the questions right away- he needed to think about some of them and get back to me. After much thought we finally have his interview! 
     



  1. Name: Riley Owen
  2. How old are you?  11 years old
  3. What is your favorite thing to do? play baseball outside with my friends
  4. Who is your best friend? Zak Turner
  5. What is your favorite color? blue
  6. What is your favorite food? pizza- Dad's pizza- pepperoni supreme
  7. What do you like to do with your family? go hiking
  8. What is your favorite toy? X-box
  9. What do you want to be when you grow up? a teacher or an architect
  10. What makes you happy? getting to see my friends
  11. What makes you sad? when I found out I fractured my elbow or when I get bad news
  12. What is your favorite show? American Pickers
  13. What is your favorite book? The Missing- Book 2 Sent by Haddix
  14. What do you love to learn about? Math
  15. What was the best part of your birthday? Getting to go pick out my present.
  16. Where do you like to go? I like to go to Grandma's house and "the Lake"
  17. Who is your teacher? Ms. Estell
  18. What is your favorite treat? Scotcharoos- peanut butter rice krispies with chocolate on top
  19. What do you think about before you fall asleep? I think about what the next day is going to be like- what I am going to have or do. Do I have baseball practice or something like that.
  20. What was your favorite birthday present? My new bike
  21. What sport do you like best? baseball
  22. What are you really good at? baseball- catcher, math
  23. What would you buy if you had $1000? a new phone and a new bike
  24. What is your favorite flavor of ice cream? chocolate
  25. Who is your biggest hero? Ryan Braun- because he is really good at baseball and he can hit really good.
  26. What do you hope you'll get to do before your next birthday? go snowboarding
  27. What do you like to do best with your friends? play football, baseball, or soccer
  28. What is your favorite song? Can't Hold Us by Maclamore and Ryan Lewis
  29. I am very proud because.... I will be playing tournaments for baseball this year. (I would have to add that he was very proud of his mile run time this year- 6:52- Way to go Riley!)
  30. I am afraid to.... do things up high like a ropes challenge course.
  31. Imagine that you can become invisible whenever you wanted to. What are some of the things that you would do? I would trick my brothers and friends
  32. Pretend that you can fly whenever you wanted. Where would you go? I would go to Mexico again.
  33. Where do you want to go on vacation? Disney World
  34. What is your favorite thing to do with Mom or Dad? play catch in the backyard and run
Riley loves learning- especially math!
 
From the time he was very little, Riley has always loved to learn new things- writing, math, reading, any kind of sport- you name it- he wants all of the details and wants to know all he can about it! He has always been a "sponge" trying to soak it all in. In preschool and kindergarten he would doodle math facts. He is very detailed and is very much a perfectionist. He is one of those kids that seems like a "natural" at a lot of things. In that way he has been a challenge for us! We are always trying to find ways to challenge him so that he knows what it is like to "work hard" for things.We don't want him to always expect everything to come easy. As a fifth grader this school year it was fun to watch him challenge himself with sixth grade math and to see him have to work at it to figure it out. It was also exciting to see him excited for the challenge. Recently, he was super excited to find out he has been placed in the seventh grade accelerated math for next year.
 
As much as Riley loves school and learning he also loves sports! It is so much fun to watch him play sports and see him work to improve himself on the field (both as a player and as a teammate to his fellow players). As you can see from his interview he loves baseball- maybe that is because we are just getting into the baseball season and it is fresh in his mind, but I would have to agree that baseball is where I see his true passion in sports! From the time he was big enough to hold the bat we have been out in the yard hitting balls and playing catch because that is what he wanted to do. 
 
He is so excited to be on the tournament team this year for baseball! This past weekend was spent watching four games in a local tournament- it takes time and makes for a crazy, busy life but it is so worth it! It is so much fun to see him developing his skills and to watch him interact with all of the kids on the team and making new friends. I also have to say that I am a pretty proud mom because he is taking after me and enjoys playing catcher! I can't even explain the feeling I get when I see him in that catcher's gear and I can't wait to work with him this summer and give him tips that I learned over my years as catcher!  
Some of my favorite shots from the La Crosse Boys & Girls Club Tournament
June 1-2, 2013
It has been so much fun to watch Riley grow and change. He is really starting to develop into a responsible young man. I am really looking forward to him moving into middle school next year and to watch him continue to change and grow into the person he is destined to be!


No comments:

Post a Comment