Monday, January 28, 2013

Winter Runnerland

All last week I had planned to do my MRTT Winter Runnerland Virtual Half Marathon on Sunday. The way things were looking I was going to end up doing it on the treadmill. Tim was planning to do it with me but we were not sure how it was all going to work since Aidan could only be in the Y Watch for 2 hours and we knew that it was going to take longer than that. Well yesterday came and along with it came a Winter storm- snow, sleet, and freezing rain. The storm also came with some warmer temperatures. After church we decided that it wasn't too bad out and that maybe we could get some of the miles in outside (you know I have been itching to get in a run outside for about a month now!). We decided to try it and then we could still head to the Y to finish the miles and we would be good. Once we headed out we decided it wasn't too bad so we decided to head for The Great River Bike Trail.
The trail was beautiful and peaceful!
 It was a mix of snow/sleet as we headed out the trail. At times there was some freezing rain mixed in but it really wasn't too bad. We decided to go out to 6.55 miles and then head back. We were both feeling pretty good. At the turn around point we stopped for a minute and had some Honey Stinger Chews. We had the Fruit Smoothie flavor and they were really good. We took a couple of pictures and headed on our way home.

Along for support
Feeling pretty good at 6.55 miles- Half way done!

We were still feeling pretty good as we headed for home. It wasn't too long when I started to get thirsty. That is when it got ugly! We hadn't planned on doing the whole 13.1 outside so we didn't bring water along- big mistake! With about 4 miles to go we broke down and took some snow/sleet/ice off of the rail of a bridge that we crossed - I can't even believe that I am saying this... but it was amazing and really helped! About that same time it changed from snow/sleet to pouring rain! Not long after that I got a horrible side ache- way up high in my ribs. I had to stop and walk with my arms above my head for a minute to relieve it but it kept creeping back for the rest of the run and we had to walk multiple times to take it away. I am not sure if it was the Honey Stingers or the lack of water- maybe a combination of both. The last 3 miles were the longest ever! Our legs were getting very sore from running in the slush and having not run outside for a month. We were very excited to get to our driveway and to be done! 13.16 miles done in 2:26:09 in a Winter Runnerland! It really did feel great to finally get outside for a run for the first time in about a month. In the end it really wasn't bad considering we were only up to an 8 mile long run in our training plan. I also have to say it felt great to accomplish that only 25 days out from my surgery! It gave me an idea of where I am and what I need to work on in the next several weeks before the Shamrock Half in Virginia.
We earned this baby!
2:26:09 running in a Winter Runnerland!

It has also been a while since my last update on my ear/neck. I feel like things are doing great. I am pretty much back to all of my normal activities (except swimming- I am ready to get back in the water but wanted to make sure my ear was all healed before getting in). I don't have an appointment until this Thursday so I will know more then. As far as I can tell it appears to be healing nicely. I still have some numbness in my jawline near my ear but that seems to be getting better. The worst thing right now is the itching. I guess that is a good thing because they say that means it is healing. The sensitivity to the cold seems to be getting better but is still there when it is really cold and windy. It also isn't as tender to the touch and I am able to wear a hat now. Here are a few pictures so you can see the progress.

January 28, 2013

January 28, 2013