Monday, August 19, 2013

Cooking with Isaac

Back in July Isaac took a kids cooking class during summer school and we learned that he really enjoys cooking! Today when I needed a distraction for him I turned to that interest to help me out!
 
Riley and some friends were going to a local park to play baseball and really didn't want a tag-along little brother. Isaac was very disappointed so I offered to make something in the kitchen with him. I asked him what he wanted to make and he decided on No-Bake Cookies that he made in his cooking class. Not a super healthy option... but hey, when you are looking to distract and upset 8 year old you just go with it. Plus, I knew that there would be hungry boys returning to the house and my dad was off of work today so we could also pay him a visit with some cookies for him too. As a bonus we had all of the ingredients that we needed without running to the store!
 
I started by having Isaac read all of the ingredients. This was also my sneaky way of getting him to practice his reading, which he usually fights me on! Then he had to find all of the ingredients and get them out and organized on the counter.
 
 
 
 Next he had to read each step and do what it told him to do. He did a great job with both reading and following the instructions. I helped with the stirring of the stove top portion as he moved ahead and started prepping the next step and measuring the oatmeal.
 
Isaac using his math skills - the 1 cup measuring cup wouldn't fit in the oatmeal so we opted to use the 1/2 cup measuring cup so he had to figure out how many he needed once we change sizes!
 
Once all of the ingredients were put together I had to help stir to get them mixed well. Then Isaac was the cookie making master!
 

Isaac busy making the cookies
 
He did a great job with the whole process- reading, math and cookie making!

our finished product
 The hardest part was being patient for them to be ready. In the end we helped the process a little by putting them in the freezer so they would be ready faster! Once they were done we delivered a container to Papa to enjoy too!
 
A small treat was just what we needed! In the end it was a great way to distract him and be able to spend some time with him. He didn't even realize that he practiced his reading and math while we were doing it! Now I just need to find some healthier recipes for him to help with in the future.
 
Our 5 mile training run that was suppose to happen yesterday got pushed off until today due to me working 12 hour day shifts all weekend. I guess it worked out well for me because it helped to burn off my cookie from earlier!
 
 It was a nice night for a good run with Tim. We were able to spend that time catching up and talking about what is coming up this week. It was warmer out than I thought but it felt great to get in a good sweaty workout! About the half way point the toes on my right foot went numb- something that has happened a few other times lately and I need to get it figured out because they hurt when that happens. When we came to a stoplight and we had to wait for a few seconds it stopped right away and didn't happen again for another mile or so. My IT Band has been really tight again so I don't know if that has something to do with it or what is going on! Anyone else have that happen? I would love to hear any ideas or suggestions!!
 
In the end it was a good 5 mile run- 9:44/mile average pace. When looking at our mile splits we even got progressively faster with each mile!
 
 

 It is Monday and that means it is time to check back in with the Weekly Chase!
 I missed last week because of working a ton extra due to people being on vacation so my goals go back to two weeks ago.
 
Run 4 times Two weeks ago I got in all 4 training runs. This past week I missed the 2 miler.
Drink more water (challenge goal)- YEP! I have gotten back on track with this!!!
Try 1 new healthy recipe Done! We tried a couple of new recipes over the past 2 weeks. I will share more about this in another post.
Do something active as a family Done! We have been riding bikes a few times.
Try a new "active" activity Done! Two weeks ago the boys and I tried stand up paddle-boarding! I have a bunch of pictures and need to do a post about it!
Make healthy choices when it comes to meals and snacks. For the most part this has gotten better. I still have some work to do but I have made good progress!
 
Here are my goals for this week:
Run 4 times
Cross train 2 times
2 core workouts (challenge goal)
Try 1 new healthy recipe
Keep a food and workout journal (challenge goal)- When I first started running I did a great job of keeping a workout journal. I have also done a food journal off and on different times so I would like to get back at it for both and keep track for a while so I have a way to look back at what I am doing.
 




 

2 comments:

  1. My kids love helping in the kitchen! Good luck finding some healthy recipes! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how much fun for you and Isaac!!! Love it! Good luck with all your goals this week! :-)

    ReplyDelete