Friday, December 18, 2015

Emergency snack kit

As many of you know, I have been really working to clean up my diet over the past couple of months and I don't want the holidays to set me back and get me off track. With all of the craziness and traveling that we have going on during this holiday season I have come to realize how important it is to make sure I have some fast, on-the-go snacks to help set me up for snacking success. Traveling, parties, shopping and all of the holiday madness can derail even the best diets (and the best intentions) if you don't have a convenient and healthy snack ready when you need it. I don't always have all of these items with me but here are some of my "emergency snack kit" essentials that I try to keep on hand:

My emergency snack kit
 Having a morning and/or afternoon snack helps keep you full, balances your blood sugar and provides energy between meals. One of the biggest things for me is to make sure that I have some source of protein. Having protein as a part of my snack always helps to fill me up and keep my belly happy longer!

Here is a closer look at the items in my "emergency snack kit":

these are a couple of my favorites
Protein bars- I have been making sure to keep a protein bar in my purse so that I always have a healthy option if I need it. QuestBar and Think Thin are just a couple of my favorites.


Clementines and String Cheese- Clementines are sooo good right now and I just can't get enough of them. When traveling this past weekend I made sure to bring some along for a healthy and portable snack. I also pack a cooler when we travel and always try to pack string cheese as a great source of protein for me and my family.


Balanced Breaks-  There are several varieties to choose from but this is my favorite. My husband loves one with cashews and pepper jack cheese. Ideally, I would like more protein in my snack but this is good to tide me over.


Nuts- I love having a variety of nuts portioned out for snacking. They are perfect for throwing into my purse and are very portable.


Apple and Nut butter- This is one of my favorite snacks! I love cutting up and apple and putting almond butter on it.
 

Gum- I ALWAYS have gum! After a meal or snack I will pop a piece in my mouth so that I don't continue to graze. Once my mouth feels fresh and clean I don't like to mess that up.


Water bottle- My water bottle goes everywhere with me! It is almost like an extension of my body! It is very important to make sure to stay hydrated. People often make the mistake of thinking they are hungry when actually they need to be drinking more water.
 


Protein powder and a blender bottle- This is another fast and easy snack option for me... just add the pre-portioned protein powder to water, shake and drink. When I first started using protein powder I was very overwhelmed by all of the options. I had no idea which one to get or what to look for. Here are a couple that a trainer/friend recently recommended and that I really enjoy:

Rocky Road = YUMMY!


When I am at home and need a quick snack (post-workout or on-the-go), I love to make a smoothie using the above chocolate protein powder. Here is my favorite recipe:

1 cup almond/coconut milk
1 scoop chocolate protein powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp. almond butter
couple handfuls of ice

Blend together and enjoy!


Recently, while looking for other healthy snack ideas I came across Nuts.com. I decided to check it out because several blogs that I follow have been talking about it and have been raving about their products. I was surprised to find that, not only do they sell a variety of nuts, dried fruit and chocolates (my shopping list is in the works) but this site has lots of great information on healthy snacking. They also have recipes and ideas for quick snacks to help you stay on track all year long. I will definitely be making the no-bake granola bars in the future and can't wait to try some of their nuts and other snacks! I encourage you to check out the site to get some ideas for yourself.

I hope that sharing my go-to snacks helps you this holiday season and really all year long! I definitely find that having fast, on-the-go snacks sets me up for snacking success, even on my busiest days.

Happy snacking!


No comments:

Post a Comment