Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Isn't it still October?

Last time I looked at the calendar
 
we still had a whole week left of
 
OCTOBER!
 
The leaves have hardly changed
 
and we still have lots on the trees around here.
 
We have also seen SNOW flurries a couple of times already!
 
What the heck?
 
Is Mother-Nature confused?
 
Where did our fall go?
 
I guess it is coming to an end faster than I would like.
 
I love living somewhere that we have all four seasons-
 
I just wish the winter one didn't have to be so long
 
or start so early this year.
 
I should have known it was coming though..
 
it always does!
 
Other than the cold and snow flurries
 
another sign that winter is coming is that
 
football ended this past weekend for my boys.
 
The last games of the season are played on the local high school field
 
and they have player introductions.
 
The older kids (5th & 6th Grade tackle) play under the lights
 
and there is an announcer for the games-
 
it is a big deal for the kids.
 
It is also a lot of fun for us as parents.
 
It was a chilly fall day
 
and it rained off and on
 
so we were worried about game time.
 
Isaac's game was up first
 
and the rained stopped just in time.
 
It was chilly but at least we were dry!
 
He did a great job playing in a variety of spots.
 
He was so proud to have some good runs with the ball.
 
3rd & 4th Grade Flag Football 10-19-13
 Isaac's team had a great season and ended it with a win!
 
We are so proud of how great Isaac did this year!
 
As the game was ending it started to rain.
 
By the time we made it home-
 
(6-7 blocks) it was pouring.
 
We warmed up and got some dinner
 
and then it was back to the stadium for Riley's game.
 
Once again we got lucky and the rain had stopped!
 
He started at 7:45 PM so you can imagine that the temperature
 
was even lower than it had been earlier.
 
Wool socks, cuddle duds, winter coat, hat, and mittens were required!
 
They did player introductions and got the game started.
 
It is amazing how far these boys have come over the years!
 
For Riley and several others this was the last game through Park & Rec.
 
Next year they will be playing Middle School Football.
 
5th & 6th Grade Tackle Football- 10-19-13
Riley's last Park & Rec Football game :(
 It was fun to see the boys getting "pumped" up before the game.
 
Riley was a big part of the pounding on other's pads and yelling to get them going-
 
it was wonderful to see him becoming a leader on the team and having such a great attitude.
 
Riley started the first half
 
and I was surprised to see him, my peanut of a boy, playing "Center"!
 
At least I knew what was expected of him in that position
 
as that is where Tim played all through High School.
 
Riley played a variety of other positions as well
 
and did a great job where ever he was put!
 
In the second half Riley didn't start but went in and out.
 
In the end it was great because they tricked the other team and he ended up
 
with a 45-50 yard touch-down run that nobody could catch him on!
 
It was so fun to see him make such a great play and to see how proud he was.
 
Riley's team had a great season
 
and they too ended it with a win- 20-0!
 
With all of this football talk I can't forget Aidan.
 
He was such a good sport about 
 
having to go to all of his big brother's games!
 
He even got into the spirit and fun of the games under the lights.
 
Aidan did a great job this fall of being flexible and supporting his brothers!
 
His turn to play flag football will be coming soon enough.
 
The award for best supportive brother goes to... Aidan!

 Next up...
 
basketball!
 
If you follow Operation Determination on Facebook
 
you probably already saw the candy dilemma
 
that I got into at work on Monday night.
 
 
This bowl of candy
 
was sitting
 
literally 2 feet away from me
 
ALL NIGHT!!
 
UGHHHHHHH!!!!!
 
I have to admit that I did have ONE
 
Reese's Peanut butter cup
 
before I posted the above picture on Facebook
 
and asked for help to keep me from digging in and having more.
 
Just knowing that I had put it out there that I was trying to stay away
 
really helped me stay motivated to not have more-
 
that and chewing mint gum!
 
It was also ironic that as I was passing time surfing Facebook
 
I came across this picture-
 
 
WOW!
 
What a slap in the face!
 
Just when I NEEDED it most!
 
With help from friends that I reached out to
 
and after seeing this it was pretty easy to stick to my guns
 
and not have any more.
 
I do have a bigger 'yes' burning inside of me and I was successful that night.
 
That should be enough but it is still hard!
 
There are always treats at work (from patients and/or staff)
 
 and this time of year it only gets worse.
 
I understand where people are coming from-
 
either they are trying to get it out of their house
 
(I have been guilty of this in the past),
 
 they are trying to be nice and bring a treat,
 
or they are trying to help lighten the mood after some rough shifts.
 
I am trying to prepare myself to be better and
 
I would love to hear any tips and/or tricks
 
that you use when you find yourself in
 
this type of dilemma.
 
That bigger 'yes' should be enough-
 
sometimes in the heat of the moment it is easier to change those priorities.
 
I need to keep this picture with me when I am at work!
 
 
Now it is your turn! I would love to hear from you!!!
 
Do you get to enjoy four seasons where you are?
 
Has winter started to move in?
 
What tips/tricks do you have for staying away from temptations?
 
PLEASE COMMENT!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment