Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Virginia Beach Racecation- Part 2

It has only been a week since I got back but it is so much fun to look back at all of our pictures and to share my experience with my family and friends. I really was blessed to have the opportunity to go on this trip and spend the time with my best friend- THANK YOU Julie for inviting me to go on the trip with you! I had a great time and I hope that you did too! It was a trip that I will never forget!
 
Here is Part 2 of my racecation!
 
Day 4
 
Friday started off with a trip through the tunnel! This was a big deal for us because on one of my last trips to visit Julie when she lived here we had car trouble and almost didn't make it out of the tunnel (anyone who lives in the area or has traveled to Norfolk/Virginia Beach knows this is a big deal and causes lots of problems!). 
 
 
After making it through the tunnel we headed for Mt. Trashmore. It was a beautiful day so we decided to walk on the trails and explore the park for a while to enjoy the weather. There were runners everywhere but we didn't come prepared to run that day so we had to just walk.

What a workout that would be!
Stairs to the top of Mt. Trashmore
 
The view from the top.

From Mt. Trashmore it was on to Virginia Beach to explore the race area. It was fun to see all of the pre-race set up and to see the area before it was flooded with runners. I think this is about the time that reality started to set in and I started to prepare myself mentally that this wasn't just a vacation- we were actually here to run! I also have to admit that I started to get a little nervous! Here are a few of the sights:

Virginia Beach and the boardwalk

Runners always need lots of port-a-potties!

Post-race party tent

Live, Love, Run! - I love it:)
J & A Racing really know how to do a race right!
 
It was fun to see the banners welcoming runners!
 


Next up- Sports & Fitness Expo and Packet Pick-up! I have never done a "BIG" race like this before so I have never really experienced an expo like this. I have to say it was wonderful!

 
We walked in and were directed to the Packet Pick-up area and it was a breeze! The day before we were texted and emailed our bib numbers. As we walked into the packet pick-up area there were several "booths" with ranges of bib numbers above them for each of the different races for the weekend. We were each able to walk right up to the volunteer and tell them our bib number, show them our ID and we were on our way with our bibs and a sinch-sack bag. After that we went to the t-shirt pick-up area and again there was no wait. We each walked right up to the volunteer and gave them the t-shirt tag from our bib and we were on our way with our shirts. The volunteers were great- very happy, positive, and encouraging!
 

I wish it was real gold at the end of that rainbow!
Once we had our bibs and shirts it was time to explore the expo! All I can say is WOW! I love shopping when it comes to all things running so this was a little piece of heaven! We were able to meet up with a high school classmate and his wife. They live in the area and he was running the half marathon too. We had fun exploring the expo together and getting to know his wife a little.
Chris and Christine checking out "The Stick"
I still regret not going back to purchase one of these.
I may have to add it to my wish list for upcoming holidays!

More fun at the expo!
After walking through the expo and participating in one of the Speaker Series talks about Yoga for runners we decided it was time to sit and relax. We found a sunny spot in the entry to the expo hall and did a little "people watching" before it was time to meet Chris and Christine for dinner.

We enjoyed an amazing dinner at The Cheesecake Factory. It was nice to catch up with Chris and get to know Christine a little more. Following dinner we headed off for gelato. The Cheesecake Factory and gelato were both firsts for us and I have to say both were wonderful. I will be heading to a Cheesecake Factory again for sure!

Day 5

At the last minute before we headed out for our trip we decided to find a hotel for the last two nights near the start/finish line of the race to make it easier for us and so we wouldn't have to get up so early on race day. So on Saturday we packed up our stuff and said good-bye to my brother-in-law and his family and headed back to Virginia Beach. We got there about noon and were surprised to find that we were able to get checked into our hotel right away. We got settled into our room and headed out to do a little tourist shopping for our families. It was a beautiful day so we also enjoyed the beach a little and finally got our toes in the sand. We also had to put our toes in the water but it was freezing so that didn't last long!
finally getting my toes in the sand

Enjoying the beautiful day at the beach

Virginia Beach, VA
 
Getting ready for the race- I am not sure if that is enough bananas:)
After enjoying the beach we headed back to the hotel to get cleaned up and ready to head over to Chris and Christine's for dinner. They invited us over for a pre-race pasta dinner and it was wonderful! We ate, enjoyed conversation, and headed out early to get to bed since we had to be up early for the race.

I am sure you are all thinking come on already get to the race! I am working on it! I needed a place to document my trip and since I don't journal this is the best way for me to do it so just bear with me.... Next up is my Anthem 1/2 Marathon Race Recap!

1 comment:

  1. My hubby's brother lives in Virginia beach! SO pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete