Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Pitty train and a sinking ship

A lot has happened since my last post 2 months ago! Before I catch you up on all of the posts in my head that never made it to the blog I want to start with an update on "where I am" right now.

Back in January I posted that my word for 2015 was going to be CHALLENGE. I guess I should have thought harder before selecting that word... or maybe not- maybe it is the perfect word for my year. There was no question that work had been a challenge over the past couple of years and that definitely continued into this year. My normal outlet for dealing with all of that was to workout but the challenge of some breathing issues followed by some knee/hip pain made that more and more difficult. It has been a challenge over the past 3-4 months to get to the bottom of those issues and to figure out the best ways to deal with all of it. All while the challenge of work kept building. I started to feel like work was changing me into someone that I didn't like anymore. I started to feel defeated both at work and with my workouts. I don't know if I would go as far as saying I was depressed but I would definitely say that I had boarded the Pity Train!



I am not sure if I came to this conclusion before coming across the above picture on Facebook or if it was this picture that brought me to this conclusion. It doesn't matter- either way I realize that I needed to make some changes in my life and get off of that "Pity Train"!  I talked to my boss about the possibility of making a change at work- going back to "having a home" instead of "floating" and being an "SOS". She gave me some options and I had to do some soul searching as to what was best for me and my family. This week it is official and I now have a new home in the Periop area (OR, Pre-op, Recovery, and Outpatient Surgery). I knew work had been a challenge for me but I didn't realize just how much it was weighing on me until I saw my schedule for the next 6 weeks change to my new "home". I have to say that I have an amazing sense of relief! I recently came across the following picture on Facebook and I think it sums it up perfectly!

 What was happening around me was starting to get inside of me. It was weighing me down and causing ME to sink. I didn't like who I was becoming so it was time to challenge myself. I had to do some soul searching to decide if that position was right for me

 It was a tough decision but I know it is what is right for me! Since seeing that schedule change, I feel more like myself than I have in a long time and it is exciting. I am back and I am choosing to challenge myself and grow by moving beyond those circumstances!


NOTE: After pulmonary function tests, a couple of different inhalers, a chest x-ray, a laryngoscopy and now acid reflux meds-  I think we are finally getting to the bottom of my breathing issues. As far as the knee/hip pain... some time at the chiropractor, a couple of pairs of new shoes and spending some time with the foam roller have started to help.


No comments:

Post a Comment