Thursday, September 12, 2013

Feeling strong

Today is one of those days where I  am feeling strong and accomplished!
 
I had to be into work for an early morning meeting but once I was home I changed and headed out the door for a quick run before Aidan was done with school. I have another commitment this evening so I didn't have a choice but to get it done this morning.
 
 
I wasn't sure how my legs were going to handle it after running 3 miles late last night with Tim and following that up with another Chris Powell "Shaper" workout (sit-ups, push-ups, squats- 20 sec. work/10 sec. rest x6 for each).
 
As soon as I started I knew it was going to be a good run! The weather was just about perfect- finally cooler and less humid. My legs were a bit sore to begin with but it didn't take long to work that out and feel pretty good. I had my music playing and just put myself in the moment and enjoyed the run and all of my beautiful surroundings. I peeked at my watch once in a while and was pleasantly surprised to see 8:xx/mi paces showing up and that helped boost my confidence! As I was heading back home I was still feeling good and I realized just how strong I felt! I could feel it in my stride and in my posture and I kept telling myself (as silly as this may sound), "Feel how strong you are right now" and I used that to continue to push my self home for a strong finish.
 
I feel like I have been so distracted lately and it felt great to push all of that aside and just run - taking in all of my surroundings and paying attention to how my body was feeling. It is amazing what can happen when you allow yourself to be in the moment!
 
I was already feeling proud of myself - both for pushing myself and for paying attention to how I was feeling and acknowledging how strong I felt - then I look at my watch and saw this:

 
Check out that pace! Where did that come from?
 
 
I felt amazing after that run and especially after seeing those times! That feeling is one of the reasons that I enjoy running so much. I felt strong! I felt a great sense of accomplishment and pride in what I had just done. Not all runs/workouts can feel like this and that is ok with me, it's not going to stop me from heading out there and getting it done. This run made me realize that all of those tough runs/workouts helped get me here. They helped me get stronger and they made me appreciate this run so much more!  I don't want to discount all of this but I should add that the better weather probably helped at least a little:)
 
After walking around the block to "cool down" I decided to stretch outside to enjoy the beautiful weather and get my daily plank done.

positive attitude + music = great results
I was shocked at how long I could hold the plank after having push-ups as a part of last night's workout. I guess it goes to show that having a positive attitude and some self-confidence goes a long ways!  A little music to distract me helps too:)
 
I hope that you are able to get out there today and take in all of your surroundings. Allow yourself to feel what it feels like to be in the moment and feel what your body can do- you might surprise yourself and feel strong too!
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment