Tuesday, February 9, 2021

Rest, Adjust, Reset

Today was one of those days that had me feeling defeated and like I was just not enough. I knew enough to take the first step of taking a break and stepping away from the situation in order to reset myself. Then I found myself wanting to eat all of the things that I knew I shouldn't. Wait a minute, let me flip that thinking - I wanted to eat all of the things that I knew wouldn't help me reach my goals. Maybe someone should come remove the chocolate chips from my house so they don't tempt me in the future! Anyway, this is definitely a habit that I am working hard to break. I am trying to have a healthy relationship with food and instead of using it as a coping mechanism, I am trying to develop a relationship of food being fuel. But it is hard! 

Instead of reaching for those darn chocolate chips or an oversized serving of trail mix, I ate a healthy lunch. Then, I took another step that can be hard for me - I reached out for help! Over the past few months I have been challenged by some of my leadership team to allow myself to open up and be vulnerable. I have to admit it is hard for me to do that with more than a few close friends or family. But, I took a step back and asked myself what I would say to one of our members if they were coming to me saying these things and then I posted a quick message in our private members only page. I put it out there that I was on the struggle bus today and asked for help/suggestions and it didn't hurt one bit. I was a little nervous or anxious but I got some really helpful ideas.
  • drinking water
  • going for a walk
  • making a smoothie
  • adding lemon to warm water
  • reflecting on what I am avoiding or not dealing with
  • walking with music
  • fresh air
  • eating fruit or a smoothie
  • chewing gum
  • taking a step back to think about how those foods that I am wanting will make me feel and really thinking through if I still want it bad enough to feel that way
  • Protein shake or protein balls
  • calling a friend 
  • cleaning a closet for distraction
  • drink a warm cup of tea
journaling and hot tea for the win

Most days I would go for a walk, hike or even a quick bike ride but it is frigid out so that was off my list for today (note to self: get my bike set up in the trainer so I can do that in the future if needed). Instead, I made a yummy cup of hot tea and took a few minutes to chill on the couch with my pups. I took some time and reflected on how I was feeling and why. I did a little journaling to get my thoughts on paper and out of my head. I spent a few minutes chatting with a coworker/friend who knew exactly how I was feeling and we worked through some of it together. By the end of the conversation we were ready to pull up our big girl panties and move forward - pity party OVER!

Sometimes we just have to be brave enough to take these steps. Take some time to rest and adjust in order to reset and move forward.








No comments:

Post a Comment