Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Playing "catch up"

 
Today I am playing "catch up".
 
I worked all weekend and then yesterday
 
my best friend came from out of town
 
and we had a girls adventure day-
 
we tried snowshoeing for the first time.
 
 
Neither of us really knew what we were getting ourselves into
 
but we both really enjoyed it!
 
What a great way to enjoy a beautiful winter day,
 
catch up with each other
 
and burn some calories together.
 
We managed to get in nearly 4 miles
 
and it was a great workout!
 
We both agreed that snowshoes
 
are now on the list of things that we need to get.
 
After working up an appetite
 
we headed to a local restaurant
 
that has an amazing soup, salad bar, and bread stick lunch.
 
It was a great day
 
with an amazing friend
 
that I don't get to spend enough time with.
 
I am very grateful that we
 
were able to have that time together!
 
 
 
After getting my fill of time with my bestie
 
Tim and I headed up to the Y
 
and got in a pretty good workout together too.
 
We ran a 5K (which after snowshoeing was a little tough)
 
and then got on the bikes for 5 miles
 
so we could check off more boxes for the Indoor Ironman.
 
It was a busy night at home so we were in a hurry
 
and didn't get our traditional post- workout picture.
 
That brings us to today-
 
Today is Tuesday and that means-
 
YOGA!
 
 
I usually run a couple of miles before yoga
 
but I forgot my iPod and watch
 
so I opted for the bike instead-
 
I know that I don't NEED those things to run
 
but I am sort of a numbers junkie
 
and I can always run tonight.
 
I got in good 12 miles on the bike
 
and then headed off to yoga.
 

too cute to not share!
I really do notice a difference in how I feel
 
when I am able to practice yoga regularly.
 
I am always grateful when I have Tuesdays off
 
and can make it to my favorite class.
 
 
Now it is time for the gratitude challenge.
 
I have not forgotten about it
 
I just haven't had time to do a post each day
 
due to 12 hr work days
 
and wanting to see my family
 
before doing it all again the next day.
 
I have kept up with the challenge
 
and have been writing in my journal until
 
I had more time to post.
 
Gratitude Challenge- Days 6- 10
 
Day 6-
"Today I want you to take about 3 minutes and stand in front of a full length mirror. I want you to write about 3 things you are grateful for about your body. NO NEGATIVITY!  Only things you are grateful for and why. "
 

OK... I have to admit that this is really HARD for me! I really struggle with loving my body and body image in general. I guess in some respects this assignment is perfect for me but it is really tough!
 1) I am grateful for my body as a whole because it carried, delivered and nourished 3 beautiful babies!
2) I am grateful for my strong legs because they have carried me through when I didn't think it was possible. They have helped me accomplish so much- from 5k to a full marathon to even a triathlon. They have kept me active and allow me to do so many things that I enjoy.
3) I am grateful for my brown eyes- just because!
 
 
Day 7-
"Write about 5 things in nature that you are grateful for today."
 
 
1) Sunshine, clouds, blue sky, sunsets
2) The changing seasons
3)The bluffs and river around where I live and all that they offer us
4) Stars and moon at night- when you take the time to stop and look it is amazing and beautiful!
5) Flowers and green grass- I am ready for spring, bring on baseball!
 
Day 8-
"Today is a tough one that will really make you think! Which one of your 5 senses are you most grateful for and why?"
 
This one has probably been one of the easiest for me! Definitely Sight!
 
I am grateful that I am able to see all of the beauty around me. I love seeing my boys faces light up then they are excited! I love seeing my little man's eyes sparkle with love when I get home and he comes running up to me to give me a hug. I am grateful that I am able to see the world around me and watch my boys do all of the things they love. You can see feelings and body language even if you can't hear it. Sight gives us so much information and so much insight into people.  I really think you can tell so much by people by looking into their eyes and by the expressions on their faces. I can't imagine not being able to see to do that.
 
Day 9-
"What photograph do you have in your possession that you are most grateful for right now? Why are you grateful for it?"
 
 
This is the picture that I am most grateful to have in my possession. This is a picture of my father-in-law. He passed away just after we were engaged. I am so incredibly grateful for having known him and getting to spend time with him! This picture is one of few that we have of him and we keep in tucked inside the frame of a picture that hangs in our living room so that he is always visible. We know that he is always with us in our hearts and minds but this is the only way that our boys know him and what he looked like. We try to talk about him often as a way for the boys to "know" him. He was an amazing man and it saddens me that they don't have him here to really know. This picture along with talking about him is the best that we can do.
 
Day 10-
"What song in your life are you grateful for? Write the words of the song that you are grateful for and why."
 
I have so many songs that I am grateful for! I think music really has a way of connecting us to what is going on in our lives and helping us connect to what we are feeling. It always feels like I hear just the right song at just the right time for what is happening in my life. I am not going to include just one song. I have a few that really stand out to me and they are all from our wedding day.
 
Here is the first:
 
From This Moment On
 
From this moment life has begun
From this moment you are the one
Right beside you is where I belong
From this moment on

From this moment, I have been blessed
I live only, for your happiness
And for your love, I give my last breath
From this moment on

I give my hand to you with all my heart
I can't wait to live my life with you I can't wait to start
You and I will never be apart
My dreams came true because of you

From this moment, as long as I live
I will love you, I promise you this
There is nothing, I wouldn't give
From this moment on

You're the reason I believe in love
And you're the answer to my prayers from up above
All we need is just the two of us
My dreams came true because of you

From this moment, as long as I live
I will love you, I promise you this
There is nothing, I wouldn't give
From this moment, I will love you
As long as I live from this moment on



This was our first dance song at our wedding and it really sums up that day for me.
 
The second:
 
 
This is another song that we danced to at our wedding with Tim's brothers and their wives.  It really meant a lot to us to include something like this tribute to Tim's dad.
 
The third:
 
 
This was a song that Tim's aunt and uncle sang at our wedding because we always felt like this touched us due to losing Tim's dad when we were so young and before our wedding, etc. I also lost my grandfather when I was very young and I always felt like he was an "angel among us" throughout my life!
 
I couldn't help but ask my husband what his song would be and his response was this and it really didn't surprise me at all. His dad loved eagles and this song was played at his funeral.
 
On Eagle's Wings
 
 
 
I really am enjoying this whole gratitude challenge!
 
I am also seeing changes in the
 
way that I look at things.
 
Before I close
 
I need to report back about last week's intentions:
 
Run 3 times- Ran 2 times
Complete weekly challenge exercises at least 5 times- completed 3 times
Attend yoga class- DONE!
Attend group strength training class- DONE!
Eat mindfully and watch portions- Did pretty good with this. Still have work to do but making progress.
No late evening snacking- DONE!
Water, Water, Water- DONE!
Complete daily gratitude challenge- DONE!
 
I am not perfect
 
but I am making progress
 
and that is what it is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment